NEWS & EVENTS
ATOS in GAD!
See how it works with 85,000 hosts
GAD located in Münster is a Data Processing Center and IT-Service Provider for financial institutes such as Volksbanken and Raiffeisenbanken in Germany, as well as Software Development Company for the cooperative bank organization. All data, transactions and information from banking establishments is processed and evaluated in two Data Processing Centers which operate 24/7 (24 hours 7 days a week).
With a total storage capacity of 77.6 Terabytes and a mainframe performance of 33,360 MIPS, GAD provides IT-services for approx. 85,000 workstations and servers for these banks. GAD is managing more than 115,000 devices and is administrating about 29 millions bank accounts. GAD provides services for 1.8 billions bookings, 9.8 billions transactions and more then 190 millions ATM withdrawals every year. There are also more than 2 millions self-services bank accounts with internet access.
GAD has recognized that the ability to remotely control and maintain users' machines and servers is a critical issue for a comprehensive management solution.
In order to implement a secure yet flexible IT-infrastructure, with increased efficiency, effectiveness and to comply with the latest regulatory requirements, GAD has ordered a turn-key solution from Xnet Communications for remote access, control and management of various workstations, servers and ATMs in the complex banking environment.
GAD's solution criteria:
- One of the main targets for this project was the smooth integration with the GAD system infrastructure and IT-environment (Windows, Linux, IBM Mainframe).
- A major factor for GAD's choice of solution is Xnet's established presence in the marketplace and it's depth of expertise. A second factor was the ability to develop extended features and complex interfaces on top of the standard products to fulfill GAD's requirements.
- Knowledge transfer was another important component of the implementation.
- Reduces IT management time and costs by allowing administrators to remotely control and manage the machines in the bank.
- Incorporates revision control for all administrative tasks.
- Enables quick problem diagnosis and resolution by technical experts who may be located in other offices or even in other cities and countries.
- Creates well documented admin work flow
- Quick resolution of users issues leads to increased productivity in the bank.
The complex solution is based on Xnet's standard product family ATOS. To provide the key functionality, Xnet has for many years partnered with Danware Data to integrate their NetOp Remote Control product with ATOS.
With ATOS GAD is able to encrypt critical file transfers, remote administration connections, and application communications throughout its network, protecting against both internal and external information security risks. By applying confidentiality, integrity, and authentication to data in transit, ATOS can eliminate common network attacks including password sniffing, data eavesdropping, and connection hijacking, reducing the overall level of operational risks. ATOS also provides secure replacement for FTP (File Transfer Protocol), commonly used by banks to automate file transfers, to ensure security of mission-critical data exchange.
The following ATOS components are in use:
ATOS Console, Host and Server provide transparent end-to-end application tunneling capabilities to secure the most mission-critical remote management applications according to the corporate data classification principles and operational risk assessment. To facilitate centralized security management, ATOS Security Server allows system administrators to centrally deploy, maintain, and monitor secure communications. One of the key components is the ATOS Movie Server.
- ATOS Console - a single GUI for all aspects of remote administration
- ATOS Host - client software for Windows and LINUX machines
- ATOS Server - centralized Security Server with session management
- ATOS Administrator - system management, accounting and backup
- ATOS Database - centralized storage, installed on IBM DB2 for AIX
- ATOS Movie Admin - specialized revision control workstation
Admin Console records each session with remotely controlled computers as encrypted movies, making it possible to trace and log all admin activities for each session. This process generates large amounts of data that is collected, archived and managed centrally by the ATOS Server. The information about the session is managed by the ATOS database (IBM DB/2 for AIX). Session movies can be reviewed and played on demand on future dates by selecting the movie based on time and date recorded, computer recorded from, admin who created the session, or user involved. In terms of revision control only the authorized users (Movie Admin or the user itself) are allowed to search for movies and to view them using their private encryption keys.
System Benefits for Remote Administration
Xnet's ATOS can help organizations to comply with the emerging and existing regulatory requirements and legislation related to privacy, security, auditing, and risk management.
- Implements all aspects of remote access: Command line tools, File Transfer, Graphical take over of entire Desktop, Remote Shell, Terminal, etc.
- Encrypts all remote administration sessions with ATOS secure tunnel
- Unifies admin authorization and authentication
- Provides Single-Sign-On system based on IBM RACF and LDAP.
- Creates encrypted and revision control approved session movies
- Provides automatic backup of movies using IBM Tivoli
- Offers Scripting, Secure File Transfer, Remote Control in a single ATOS Console
- Supports different security profiles for Workstations, Servers and ATMs